Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Future time,Adverbs,Non-finites,Gerunds,Present particle,Past participle

The Future Time

Fill in the blanks in the following sentences with will or shall.

1. I shall post this letter tomorrow.
2. The exams will begin next week.
3. I will see him next time.
4. Will you please stop talking ?
5. Shall I serve dinner now ?
6. You will not steal.
7. Will you change this bulb for me ?
Fill in the blanks with would or should.
1. He said his brother ................... ................... would come home on the sixth.
2. The teacher said we should work harder.
3. You should not eat so many sweets.
4. Would you pass the rice please ?
5. He said ................... but it would arrive within the next fifteen minutes.

Use of 'would' and 'used to' to refer to past actions.

A. Fill in the blanks with used to or would

1. When I was in primary school,
I used to hate going to school.
2. My brother used to bully me as a child.
Then I would call out to my sister for help.

B. Fill in the blanks with would or wouldn't or should or shouldn't

1. When we were in Delhi, we would go to the zoo every week.
2. You shouldn't read in bad light.
3. Would you mind opening the door, please ?
4. You should wear a helmet when you are riding a scooter.
5. I would like to talk to the manager.
6. Would you like to try another cutlet ?

C. Fill in the blanks with will, won't or would

Suresh : I will go to the library tomorrow.
Mohit : I know ............. but will you be able to pick me up ?
Suresh : Yes, 'of course, I will. But I will go late in the evening.
Mohit : About what time would that be ? I will be ready.
Adjectives
Adjectives describe nouns.
They describe quantities
They describe numbers
They also describe the order.

Fill in the blanks :

1. Mamta tried to learn to draw, but her progress was slow.
2. Prompt medical attention after an accident saves lives.
3. The ring of the doorbell was very loud.
4. Alka wants to go to a medical college.
5. The blind boy enjoyed the feel of the winter sun.
6. The warm weather will make us feel more cheerful.
7. There was a full moon last night.
8. Mohit fell off his cycle and hurt his right hand.
9. Mandeep was the brightest boy to join the team.
10. Ravi's superior officer was very kind.

Adverbs

Adverbs describe verbs.
Adverbs describe a complete sentence also.

Fill in the blanks with adverbs.

Rahul walked gently up ................. clothes. He thought peacefully of the ........................... he
thought painfully. Now ................. dinner. Suddenly a car stopped. It was ................. I will take you
home safely. Rahul got into the car.

Fill in the blanks using the Past Tense of the verbs.

1. Divya : Did you go anywhere last week ?
Neel : Yes, I did. I went to Bhopal.
Divya : Really? I did not know that. I thought all your relatives are in Delhi.
Neel : No ................... Bhopal
Divya : Did you have a good time ?
Neel : Yes, I did.

2. Fill in the blanks using Past Tense or Present Perfect Tense.

The policeman opened the cell door. He looked inside and found the cell empty. He called for
guard.
Where is the man? Who saw him last ?
The prisoner fell ill last Sunday. He has not eaten since then. The doctor visited him on Tuesday.
I have not seen him recently," he guard replied.

Non Finites

I. To - infinitives. Verb with to in front are called infinitives.
It was his duty to clear the track. We cannot use to + goes or to + went.
Ex.II

Fill in the blanks with the infinitive form of the correct verb.

1. I forgot to post your letter.
2. He wants to go to the station.
3. She pretended to sleep.
4. Would you like to accompany us ?
5. He asked her to report the progress of the project.
6. Is it safe to park the car here ?
7. To live without air is impossible.
8. To sit in the sun in winter is pleasant.
9. To waste water is foolish.
10. I shall be glad to help you.

II. Gerunds

Gerunds are derived from verbs.
swim - swimming
dance - dancing
Gerunds are used as nouns.
Ex.II.
1. Bathing is necessary for health
2. Seeing is believing.
3. We go to school for studying.
4. He dislikes wearing a green shirt.
5. Baldeo was responsible for signalling.
6. He heard the hammering of a woodpecker.
7. He stopped trembling when he saw that the tiger was dead.
8. The leopard waited at the cutting.
9. Shopping had made her tired.
10. Studying grammar is fun.

III. The Present Particle

When verb + ing functions as an adverb/ adjective we call it a present participle.
(a) I saw a limping dog. (adjective)
(b) I saw him whistling (adverb)
Ex. II

Fill in the blanks with present participles.

1. We got some exciting news yesterday.
2. We had a speaking activity in class today.
3. The black entrance to the tunnel looked menacing.
4. The train entered the yawning tunnel.
5. She was busy writing letters.
6. It was a learning experience for us.

IV. The Past Participle

When verb + ed or en functions as an adjective, it is a past participles.

B. Fill in the blanks with past participles.

a) Submit a written report.
b) The police found the stolen goods.
c) Please submit your completed assignment.
d) Don't play with broken toys.
e) It is a painted picture, not a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment