Thursday, November 10, 2011

TELEPHONE LANGUAGE:


Telephone Language
Here are some typical
phrases that you can use in a
telephone conversation.
Answering the phone
Hello? (informal)
Thank you for calling
Boyz Autobody. Jody
speaking. How can I help
you?
Doctor's office.
Introducing yourself
Hey George. It's Lisa
calling. (informal)
Hello, this is Julie
Madison calling.
Hi, it's Gerry from the
dentist's office here.
This is she.*
Speaking.*
*The person
answering says this if
the caller does not
recognize their voice.
Asking to speak with
someone
Is Fred in? (informal)
Is Jackson there, please?
(informal)
Can I talk to your sister?
(informal)
May I speak with Mr.
Green, please?
Would the doctor be in/
available?
Connecting someone
Just a sec. I'll get him.
(informal)
Hang on one second.
(informal)
Please hold and I'll put
you through to his office.
One moment please.
All of our operators are
busy at this time. Please
hold for the next
available person.
Making special requests
Could you please repeat
that?
Would you mind spelling
that for me?
Could you speak up a
little please?
Can you speak a little
slower please. My
English isn't very strong.
Can you call me back? I
think we have a bad
connection.
Can you please hold for
a minute? I have another
call.
Taking a message for
someone
Sammy's not in. Who's
this? (informal)
I'm sorry, Lisa's not here
at the moment. Can I ask
who's calling?
I'm afraid he's stepped
out. Would you like to
leave a message?
He's on lunch right
now.Who's calling
please?
He's busy right now. Can
you call again later?
I'll let him know you
called.
I'll make sure she gets
the message.
Leaving a message with
someone
Yes, can you tell him his
wife called, please.
No, that's okay, I'll call
back later.
Yes, it's James from
CompInc. here. When do
you expect her back in
the office?
Thanks, could you ask
him to call Brian when he
gets in?
Do you have a pen
handy. I don't think he
has my number.
Thanks. My number is
222-3456, extension 12.
Confirming information
Okay, I've got it all
down.
Let me repeat that just
to make sure.
Did you say 555 Charles
St.?
You said your name was
John, right?
I'll make sure he gets the
message.
Listening to an answering
machine
Hello. You've reached
222-6789. Please leave a
detailed message after
the beep.Thank you.
Hi, this is Elizabeth. I'm
sorry I'm not available
to take your call at this
time. Leave me a
message and I'll get back
to you as soon as I can.
Thank you for calling Dr.
Mindin's office. Our
hours are 9am- 5pm,
Monday-Friday. Please
call back during these
hours, or leave a
message after the tone.
If this is an emergency
please call the hospital
at 333-7896.
Leaving a message on an
answering machine
Hey Mikako. It's Yuka.
Call me! (informal)
Hello, this is Ricardo
calling for Luke. Could
you please return my call
as soon as possible. My
number is 334-5689.
Thank you.
Hello Maxwell. This is
Marina from the
doctor's office calling. I
just wanted to let you
know that you're due for
a check-up this month.
Please give us a ring/
buzz whenever it's
convenient.
Finishing a conversation
Well, I guess I better get
going. Talk to you soon.
Thanks for calling. Bye
for now.
I have to let you go now.
I have another call
coming through. I better
run.
I'm afraid that's my
other line.
I'll talk to you again
soon. Bye.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment